Friday, September 01, 2006

Panelled houses

I was reading Haggai 1 the other day, and was convicted:

Then the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai:
"Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your panelled houses, while this house remains a ruin?" (v3-4)

We (or at least I) often put down the ineffectiveness of churches nowadays to having a lack of concern for Biblical doctrine, or a desire to use our own methodology, rather than Biblical methodology (esp. in corporate worship and evangelism), or to having lower-than-Biblical standards for personal holiness. And all of these failings are tragic, for they rob God of the glory that is due to Him.

But it strikes me that the main reason why the temple of Christ (the church) is weak, is quite simply that we are self-indulgent. We spend our time panelling our houses (probably not literally), rather than spending our money and effort and prayer on building God's.

What's the problem with today's church? We are. I am. It's quite simple, we (I? You?) need to be more committed to loving and serving Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.