Monday, September 25, 2006

I need the Sabbath to survive

Just over a week or so ago, Daniel, on his blog, posted about the necessity of believers keeping the Sabbath (not as the Jews did, but in a Christian way), and it caused controversy. I am confused about this. Why don't believers want to keep the Sabbath?

After busy weeks wherever we work, is it not natural and good for us to want to spend a day especially with God, and with other believers? If the Sabbath is made for man (Mark 2:27), then shouldn't we view it as a wonderful gift from God? I personally think it's a wonderful idea of His - we need a day for both physical and spiritual rest, and He's given us one.

Yesterday, I went to church twice. Both times I was challenged (once very strongly) from the Word. Both times, as Christ was present in the special way in which He is when believers meet together, I was enabled to see God more clearly, and by His grace to be more joyful in what we have received from Him. I was able to meet with my brothers and sisters, pray with them, and have fun with them.

Before and in between the meetings , I was able to spend more time in meditation upon God's greatness, and in communion with him, than I have time to manage on a weekday. My housemates and I were able to pray together for one another. I was able to listen to one of them playing hymns and songs on the keyboard. I was able to read some helpful words of John Flavel. And I was even able to grab an extra hour in bed, mid-afternoon. The Sabbath is wonderful! It provides a spiritual kick with which to go out into the world to face a difficult week ahead.

One final note: those who are privileged to be in full-time ministry or training need to realize that others aren't in that situation. If you are blessed with being able to open the Word many times a day, remember that that isn't the case for all of us. Some of us need a Sabbath. Please don't encourage us to try to survive without.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's an article on a blog I read daily, which is of some relevance.